Sunday, April 19, 2009

Two worlds


I have always been caught between two different worlds with diverse perspectives and traditions. On one side - America: the land of the free and the home of the brave. The other - India: bharath matha, where I was born. Born in India and brought up in the US, I often find myself not completely part of one or the other.
There is a part of me that cherishes the traditions practiced in India and another part of me that likes the freedom and opportunities America has to give to many of its citizens. I remember the first time I stepped foot into the Americas. Lush beautiful trees enveloped the smooth roads as my father drove from the airport to the apartment we had just purchased. It was exciting, rejuvenating to be exact, in this atmosphere. The sun was radiant but it was different than what I had experienced in India. The hooonk! and whoosh! and beep beep! sounds were missing along with the busy roads, hustling crowd, road side chat houses, and heavy traffic. As I gazed out the window of the rental car, I could see the clear sky and the other cars with sleek new colors and models speed up before us. The apartment was even better - large rooms, wonderful kitchen..and bathrooms (if I may add).
I never felt the "culture shock" that most experience since I was only four when I entered this country. When the days of kindergarten approached, I was even more excited. I would meet these new people who spoke different languages. The first day of school started it all and now here I am, studying in the same country with a fluent American accent.
Over the years, my family would go to India to visit our relatives and friends. To this day, I miss many parts of my India: the banana leaves that we would eat on, the mangoes that we would steal from the neighbor, badminton in the basement, animals on the street, North and South indian foods..(the list is infinite). Although I have learned to adapt both lifestyles, I never really fit in 100% with either nation. I was more of a mongrel, a mutt, a mixture between the two countries.
However, I find that there seems to be a "culture swap". I have noticed that Indians living in India want to be more "Americanized" than any other. They try to follow the lifestyle here - shirts, pants, American music (beyonce, britney spears etc.) and even go as far as to attempt to have an American accent. Indians residing the US are more closer to the orthodox Indian culture than some Indians living in Indai. Carnatic music, bharathanatyam, slokha class, vishnu sahasramanam - all of which I have learned and practiced since I was four, I have hardly seen in India.
In a way, I cherish being different, unique..being a mongrel. I like the fact that I can understand and respect certain aspects of both cultures. Indeed at times I would wish and say to myself, why can't I just fit in more? Why was I looked at differently in both parts of the world? But in the end, I would always discover that these two worlds partly define who I am as a person. My personality and my characteristics are both entwined with both nation's values.
I have always been asked, "Where are you from?" and would always respond hesitantly. From now on, I know the answer. The answer is: Indiamerica...a life inspired by two nations.

6 comments:

  1. Indiamerica? Lol

    You know what your style of writing reminds me of another Indiamerica blogger named sydney. Unfortunately she deleted her blog :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I know it's a corny ending..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh..and the person you are refering to has a new blog:
    http://www.likemotherpumpkinlikedaughterpumpkin.blogspot.com/

    She's my sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad that the Indians here don't respect the greatness of their culture..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ celestial devil:

    That's actually quite contrary to what's actually depicted in the US. Indians here are MUCH more into their traditions and cultures than the Indians in India itself. In fact, I think we're actually more religious too. How much percent of the population in India do you think learn CARNATIC music, BHARATANATYAM, SLOKHAS, AND VISHNU SAHASRANAMAM? I'd say MUCH less than the US...I learned all of the above and I know some ppl in india who are not involved in cultural activities. I'm not trying to be stereotypical.."some".

    ReplyDelete
  6. @my heart
    Lol! I knew there was some connection. Wow my instincts are indeed good!

    ReplyDelete