Saturday, April 18, 2009

There's never a happy medium


April 18th, 2009


Another day in my life: the same dry, monotonous schedule; same faces, same tasks, same assignments. "Nothing is impossible". The quote that I have seen almost every year of my life and the one that I have told myself repeatedly as a motivater. It suddenly occured to me that I had been lying and deceiving myself. There are a few things in life that are impossible.


I realized that there is never a happy medium. There is never a "yes" and "no". There is never a "gray region" between potent black and pure white. There is never a "right and wrong", only a right or wrong. I have always imagined a life with endless possiblities - but you are restricted to two ways: what you think is right and the judgement of the world around you.


I don't know if you remember, but in cartoons, there is always a child with an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. The id and the superego both influencing the person who is trying to make a decision in life. The final decision MUST be righteous or wrong, never both.
A final thought to end the day: If one chooses to seek for a "happy medium", will they eventually cease their search to find that they have failed?

3 comments:

  1. What you do might be right for one and wrong for another. So in that sense an act can be both wrong and right but that is from another person's perspective. As you said, to us who commit the act, there is either right or wrong and never both.

    I do not think that you can ever be happy when you don't do what you want to do. So you are never seeking a 'happy medium' when you don't do what you always wanted to do.

    Good post again

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Twisted Elegance..
    good point...but what happens when you can't decide between what's right and wrong? Do you seek advice or do you continue your search for the "happy medium"?

    gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u know what... we have every answer inside us but we just ignore it somehow.... may be we don't want to accept the fact at times... either good or bad its inside us... or rather say right or wrong!
    good blog!! keep writing..

    ReplyDelete